Thursday, May 10, 2012

When Your World Goes BOOM! – Luke 24:17-21

17  He asked them, "What are you discussing together as you walk along?" They stood still, their faces downcast. 
18  One of them, named Cleopas, asked him, "Are you only a visitor to Jerusalem and do not know the things that have happened there in these days?" 
19  "What things?" he asked. "About Jesus of Nazareth," they replied. "He was a prophet, powerful in word and deed before God and all the people. 
20  The chief priests and our rulers handed him over to be sentenced to death, and they crucified him; 
21  but we had hoped that he was the one who was going to redeem Israel. And what is more, it is the third day since all this took place."
– Luke 24:17-21



When Your World Goes BOOM!
Have you ever had your "world" pulled out from under you?  Everything is going great, things are looking up, the future looks bright and everything you are doing seems to be right in line with what you believe God wants for you and then Wham!  Like a bolt of lightning striking way too close, your "world" explodes around you and everything you thought you knew has been turned to dust.  And worst of all, God doesn't seem to be answering your questions why.

It could be any number of things. The loss of a loved one; the loss of a job; the infidelity of a spouse; the bad doctor's report; the natural disaster that took all of your possessions; the old habit or addiction that has retaken your sanity.  It could be any number of things that while we are in the midst of it all, seem to be the end of the "world."  I think it is safe to say that we have all experienced this a time or two in our lives.  And every time, it is a brand new level of anguish and despair.  Where is God? Why did He allow this to happen? Can't He see what it's doing to me? 

When my first wife left me I was lost.  I didn't even know how to breath.  All of the good intentions and advice from friends and family offered me no comfort.  All I know was that I was serving God faithfully and I didn't understand how my life could be destroyed and the world as I knew it, no longer existed.  I was a total mess for several years.

I couldn't see it at the time but God was right there with me.  Jesus was praying for me and all of the angels in heaven were fighting for me.  I had to learn some lessons and I had to go through those dark times in order to appreciate the blessings that were going to come my way.  I had to shed all those tears and experience the pain of rejection and fear and loneliness and betrayal.  And worst of all, I had to endure for way longer than I thought was necessary and I thought I would never make it.

It was only when I turned it all over to God that I started to see breakthrough.  I started forgiving and praying for other people and asking God to bless them.  I took my eyes off of me and my problems and asked God to have His way in my life, and I thanked Him for the love He showed me while I was hurting.  It was then that I started to live again.  God gave me a new "world" and I could see things in a new light as He healed my wounded heart and gave me a renewed love and a passion for Him.  He also brought me a beautiful and loving wife who fits me perfectly and makes me a better man.  Everything that was taken from me was restored in ways I could never have imagined.  I am who I am today because of the lessons learned from that trial, and I am able to thank God for His wisdom in allowing me to grow through that experience.

That's not to say that I won't be devastated when my current world implodes and is pulled out from under me . . . and I know that it will happen one day.  After all, we all live this crazy thing called life, but I have learned that God has my back – and Jesus is praying – and the angels in heaven are fighting, and even though I know I will surely have a huge pity party when the time comes, I have experienced His grace and goodness and most importantly His perfect timing, so I hope that when the time comes, I can lift my eyes towards heaven early on in the trial, and proclaim victory over whatever the enemy throws my way . . . and my faith will be strengthened (again), and my Hope, will once again be restored!

Prayer
Father, help me to trust in You when my "world" is torn apart.  Thank You for bringing me through those times in my life when I felt that all was lost.  Help me to stand firm in the hope that You can bring good - both now and eternally - out of even my most painful experiences.  I pray for the safety and continued blessings for all my friends and my family Lord . . . and I ask that Your guiding hand be on them today as they face this world head-on.

Have a blessed day everyone!

– Richard


No comments:

Post a Comment