Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Put Up Your Dukes! – 1 Timothy 6:12

12 Fight the good fight of faith, take hold of the eternal life to which you were called.
– 1 Timothy 6:12 



Put Up Your Dukes!
When I was young, my good friend Rudy convinced me to train with him to be a Golden Gloves Boxer.  The daily training and regimen was extremely difficult, but I had my buddy by my side to encourage me through it all.  At first, I could barely lift my arms with those giant 16-ounce gloves on, and I couldn't even do 10 push-ups, but before long, I was right there with all of the other boxers - hitting the speed bag, tossing the medicine ball, counting off (what seemed like) never-ending 3-munite rounds of push-ups and sit-ups and of course, perfecting my technique for spitting into the big silver bucket (I'm not sure why that was important, but I remember taking great pride in the spit I could produce . . . hmmm, a thought for another day).

Even though the routine became easier as time went on, the one training exercise I couldn't stand, and avoided as much as possible, was shadow boxing.  There we were, six or seven of us at a time in the ring, punching and jabbing at absolutely nothing.  To me it seemed futile.  I could see that others were quite good at it and for some, it even looked like they were actually fighting.  Even though Shorty (our trainer), explained that it was important to be able to visualize what to do in different situations throughout a fight, I just didn't buy in to it, so I just half-heartedly went through the motions.

At last, after weeks and weeks of training, I got my first chance for an actual spar (boxing practice against an actual opponent), and I was very excited.  I was confident and I wanted to put on a good show for my friend and for my trainer.  I got my butt whipped!

While I was in great physical shape, and my punches were on target and my jabs snapped through the air (and I spit perfectly in the bucket), I just wasn't prepared for the onslaught of punches and combinations from my opponent. 

I hadn't taken advantage of all of the training techniques that Shorty designed for me.  By discounting the shadow boxing exercises, I robbed myself of the ability to visualize my opponent, and to plan how to escape and avoid his  attack.  Needless to say that I never took shadow boxing for granted again and I entered the rest of my fights fully prpared. The outcome wasn't always what I wanted, but my losses were never because I had taken my training for granted.

Our Christian walk is a lot like that training.  There are many techniques and exercises available to us in order to strengthen our faith, our knowledge, and our ministry.  Some are obvious but some may seem a little awkward at times.  Of course we need to take full advantage of God's Word, and our prayer and devotion time is important so that we can get to know and commune with God . . . but how many of us exercise visualizing what we will do when the enemy attacks.  I'm not talking about the big attacks – illness, finances, death of a loved one, etc.  I'm talking about the daily temptations of life that are snares to every one of us.

We need to take a truthful look at ourselves, understand who we are in Christ, understand and be honest about who we would be without Him (this one is very important), and plan our strategies for combating those temptations.  We need to do this daily! Every morning of every day!  

Prepare for the attacks so that you can fight a good fight.  Stop being victimized by circumstances and you will soon find more and more victories in and over your life!

We are more than conquerors!  We are Victorious Warriors! We are children of the Most High God!

Prayer
Father, thank You for reminding me that I need to be prepared and that I need to train my mind and my spirit to combat the enemy. I always want to fight the good fight so that I can live this life in hopes of reaching my eternal life - the one You called me to. Help me to recognize and to ward off the blows that the enemy will try to use against me. Help me to see his plan so that with Your help I can live this life Victoriously!

Have a blessed day everyone!

– Richard


No comments:

Post a Comment