Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Dude, That Outfit Is Humble! – 1 Peter 5: 5b

5b Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble."
– 1 Peter 5: 5b





Dude, That Outfit Is Humble!


I know, it's a strange title but what can I say?  

I'm a strange kind of guy  :) 
 
We never hear expressions like that because they don't sound right but in reality, as Christians, that is the kind of compliment we should be seeking.  When people look at us, they should notice our character first – they should notice the light of Christ that shines from a heart that knows its place in Christ 
  a heart that does not deserve any of the grace that has been given it;  a heart that continually seeks forgiveness;  a heart that is destined for eternity despite its selfish tendencies.

You see, if we truly understood what has been given to us, we would never walk proudly on the earth, and we would never seek the accolades of man.  But this is a long life, and each day brings new challenges, and the enemy knows that even though we are saved, we are weak, and easily swayed by the love of things that make us feel good.  We are a fickle people and we tend to sway back and forth like tall grass in a stiff breeze.  It really is sad don't you think?

But!  We have a God that knows the interior of our heart.  The place that is covered up by all of the emotions and self-gratifying desires.  He knows the core of who we are – who He created us to be.  The center of our being that pumps strong with the blood of Christ.  He knows that despite all of our shortcomings in this world, we are His children and when He created us, He called us "Good!"  He is our Champion, and we are Redeemed because He loves us so much!  That is why we should be grateful!  That is why we should walk in forgiveness!  That is the reason we should be humble!

Our humility does not need to be seen as weak either.  We are a strong people 
 warriors and victorious conquerors, with the power to move mountains!  No . . . we should walk with our heads held high, but our humility should be evident in the way we carry ourselves.  Courtesy, friendliness, gentleness, manners, wholesome laughter, forgiveness, toothy smiles, availability, approachability, respectability, patience, kindness, and a work ethic that puts everyone else to shame.  We should be the cream of the crop  always the example of the best  not honoring the world, but honoring God in all that we do.  His grace is our reward!

So take a look at how the world sees you.  What do they see?  If you are like me, they see different things at different times and on different days (
depending on the mood I'm in).  What they haven't seen too much of, is consistency and humility.  So why not start working with me on getting dressed each day by covering up all of our prideful and self-serving ways with humble clothing.  Lets freak the world out by putting on Christ each day.  Who knows, we might just cause a sensation!

Prayer
Father, I am so sorry for the inconsistent life that I've been living.  I know that the only reason I am alive today is because of the love and grace that You saved me with.  I pray that I can, from this day forward, be more consistent in my walk and that the life I now have because of You will shine forth in all humility for everyone to see.  Help me, I beg, to be always mindful that I am being watched, so that I can catch myself before I act foolishly and cause someone to blame You for not being real.   I thank You for continuing to help me grow in the love and knowledge of my Savior, Jesus.  You are changing me daily and I am so grateful.

have a blessed day everyone!

-Richard




No comments:

Post a Comment