Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Peace Out! – 2 Corinthians 13:11

11 Finally, brothers, rejoice. Aim for restoration, comfort one another, agree with one another, live in peace;  and the God of Love and Peace will be with you.
– 2 Corinthians 13:11





Peace Out!

Rejoice!
Restore your relationships!
Comfort one another!
Agree with one another!
Live in Peace!
     THEN...God, who IS Love and Peace, will be with you.

Pretty heady stuff eh?  Can you wrap your mind around this one?  The ball is in your court – whatcha gonna do with it?  You gonna run with it or are you gonna sit around waiting for God to make you feel like being a lovable and peaceful Christian?   If that's the case I hope you have a good set of lungs because you're gonna be holding your breath for-a-long-time!  

God wants us to take the initiative and show the world that we are different – that we talk differently, we drive differently, we live differently, and we react differently – not because we are being made to, but because we choose to.  We have to make a conscious effort to rejoice in the face of tough situations like when we receive a bad Dr's report, or a job loss, or to show love and compassion to those who oppose us.  We must choose to speak life into situations that by all outward appearances seem to be hopeless, and we must live peaceably and be examples of calm in the midst of our trials so that our neighbors and coworkers, and anyone else observing us will be drawn to the light of Christ that dwells within us.

As we do this . . . as we make the choice to rejoice in the life that we have, and as we demonstrate peace, and love, and kindness, and we learn to live full and contented lives (despite our circumstances), we will experience God's love and peace which will enable us to go even deeper in our relationship with Him.  In turn, this will allow us to be even more effective in bringing peace and love and joy to those who don't know Christ.  It is a continuous cycle that as Christians, we should be constantly working in and towards.  

I have been trying to apply this in my own life and I can tell you that I have never felt more at peace with who I am and my walk in Christ.  I am, on a daily basis, getting a better understanding of the depth of God's love and the sweet taste and aroma of His peace in my life, and I actually feel physically better because of it.  Oh, I still have arthritis, and I still have all the aches and pains that go with that, but the stress just isn't there as much.  I wish I could say it isn't there at all, but I am still learning how to make the right choices in celebrating my life as Christ intended, and I know that everyday, I will get a little bit better at living in peace.

Won't you join me in making a lifestyle change?  Make the choice to be a peacemaker and watch your life change for the better.  I challenge you to give up something that you feel is rightfully and justifiably yours in order to bring peace to the situation.  For example, have you been at odds with someone over a debt that is owed?  Forgive the debt and then apologize for any ill-feelings that may have come about because of the debt.  Are you angry with someone for hurting your feelings?  Go to them and apologize for being angry at them (chances are they aren't even aware you've been angry).  Do you have a family member that you haven't talked to in a long time because of something that happened years ago?  Call them today and tell them you love them.  Then watch as God moves in your life – and theirs.  Send me a note with your story . . . I'd love to hear how God has restored your relationships because you made the choice to be a peacemaker!

Prayer
Father I thank You for the revelation of my role in living in peace and rejoicing in my life.  For too long I was expecting You to bring peace in my life but I wasn't willing to do my part.  I see now that I must make the choice to live as a peacemaker in order for Your grace and peace to be active in my life.  I pray that as I continue living my life according to Your Word, others will be drawn to Your peace, which surpasses all earthly understanding.

Have a blessed day everyone!

– Richard






No comments:

Post a Comment