Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Ask for Something - His thing! – John 16:24

24 Until now you have asked nothing in my name. Ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full.
– John 16:24





Ask for Something - His thing!

Over the years, I have learned to listen to my Father during prayer time, and I have heard Him speak to me (no, not in a James Earl Jones, R-I-C-H-A-R-D . . . THIS IS GOD SPEAKING . . . way, but in a silent confidence kind of way), and I am slowly becoming more in tune with what and how He wants me to pray. After all, He already knows what I need in my life, so anything I can come up with is no surprise to Him.  My goal for prayer nowadays is to find His will in the everyday walking through of my life.  How does He want me to see His children?  How does He want me to act – in good and bad circumstances?  Where does He want me to position myself in my home, my church, and in my community? Who does He want me to be available to and to pray blessings over, etc.?

I believe that God wants to use our quiet time with HIm (if we let Him), to speak truth into our hearts – the truth of what He wants Us to do to create change in our world.  After all, we are His hands extended here on earth.  We are how He gets things done.  We have to be willing to step outside of our neat and controlled lives and be willing by faith, to be a miracle.  It needs to start somewhere right?  It might as well be here with you and with me.

Today's scripture says that until now, I/we have asked "nothing" in His name.  Oh, we all know that we have asked for plenty, and in my case, most of it has been selfish desires.  It's time for me to start asking for "something" – something that will bring glory and honor to our Father.  We need to stop thinking of what we want and focus on what He wants.


We can still ask for the kinds of things that we all want and need, but just do it from a different perspective:  
Do you need a new job? 
Ask for the position that our Father (who loves you) has all ready set aside for you – and then be prepared to rejoice when maybe it isn't the job you were looking for but it will be the job that will bring you the greatest joy and fulfillment in your life, if you accept it with gratitude and praise.  

Do you need a relationship restored? 
Pray that God would bless the other person and bring joy and abundance to their life that they might see Him in everything they do – their coming back to you will be a result of them realizing God's goodness and grace on their life, and restoration might not come about the way you thought it would – but it will come in a way that God is glorified.  

Do you a need financial miracle? 
Pray that God would bless those around you who are in greater need than you. Pray that your finances would be met according to His plan and then rejoice during your time of lack. Your miracle will come, but it will probably come in a way that you never could have dreamed.

Let us ask for things and pray according to what God wants!  THAT will bring us answered prayer.  THAT will bring us the fullness of joy that He wants so much to give us.  THAT will bring about  a glorious change to this crazy world.  THAT will honor our Father in heaven!

Prayer
Father You are so great and I offer praise to You right now.  For far too many years I have offered half-hearted and selfish prayers to You and I know and am so thankful that You have forgiven me for that.  This year and on this day, I seek Your will in my prayers.  I will no longer bring an offering of fools to You but I will wait on You and I will listen for the Holy Spirit to guide me in fervent and effectual prayer. Thank You for reminding me that in Your name I will find my joy and my life will be fulfilled.

Have a blessed day everyone!

– Richard


No comments:

Post a Comment