Thursday, May 3, 2012

5 Thomas said to him, "Lord, we don't know where you are going, so how can we know the way?" 
– John 14:5



Do You Know Where You Are Going?  
Do You Know the Way?
We each have a separate path in life to follow – and for the most part, we tend to focus on our professions as a way of identifying the path we are on.  We also use that as a way to determine the kind of lifestyle we are to live.  We do this, and at the same time we try to add or fit Jesus into what we consider our path to be.  I think we have things mixed up and I for one am taking a different approach to the path that I am on.

For far too long, I have been torn.  I've been trying to determine the course of my life by the amount of money I can make and the creature comforts I can afford.  Instead of using them as a way to enhance my path to Jesus, I have used them as a way to allow Jesus just enough room to tag along.  Oh, I have walked with Him (or maybe it's that I've allowed Him to walk with me), and we have had fellowship together, and He has blessed me along the way, but we haven't really been going anywhere.  He has let me wander around in the desert of nothingness, and He has patiently waited for me to get on the path out of that desert and onto the road that He specifically and carefully designed for me. 

His is a path of surrender; a path of sacrifice; a path of humbling myself, and giving myself to His will, and not my own.  Am I giving up on making decisions for and about my life – not at all.  I'm just always learning to look to Him before making those decisions.  It's a process, and with each surrender it becomes easier to recognize the path I need to be on because my faith is so much stronger. 

The great hymn goes, "I Surrender All," not "I Surrender All that I don't want or think I won't need."  He has promised that by following in His way – by surrendering all that I am to Him, He will reveal truth to me and He will give me life. A life that on my own I could not accomplish.  A life that will lead me straight to the Father.

How about you?  Do you know the path you are on?  Are there parts of your life that you know you should surrender but you are afraid to let go of?  Are you wanting to control your path instead of letting Him lead you?  Ask the Holy Spirit to reveal these things to you.  He wants you on His path to righteousness so that not only will you be an effective minister of the Gospel, but you will know Him intimately, and He will present you to the Father as His own.

Prayer

Lord, I am tired of following my own way.  I surrender all that I am to You and I lay my life in Your hands.  I look forward to all that You will reveal to me as we journey on this path to the Father.  Help me Lord, to journey well and to be ever mindful of the steps I am taking as we travel through my life . . . together.

Have a blessed day everyone!

– Richard


No comments:

Post a Comment