Monday, February 20, 2012

You Better Believe IT! – Hebrews 10:22-23

22 let us draw near with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies 
washed with pure water. 
23 Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful;
- Hebrews 10: 22-23





You Better Believe IT!
Have you ever made an important promise and had the person you made the promise to look at you like they didn't believe you?  How did that make you feel?  Even when you tried to explain that you were sincere, and that you would follow through and deliver, and that they could trust your word . . . you could still see doubt in their eyes?  It's not only frustrating but it hurts to know that someone doesn't believe in you.



Imagine how God feels!

He gave us a promise and then went so far as to seal it with the blood of His Son.  Jesus even came to earth and lowered Himself to take on a human body and then lived in a time when the things that were considered modern conveniences were animal skin flasks, sandals, 
dirt floors, and dust in your food.  It wasn't a pleasant time to live in, but He did it, and He put up with all that humanity had to offer. You know, things like scourging and stoning, and ultimately crucifixion.  He did it all to show us that He was willing to give Himself, under any circumstance, so that we could receive the fullness of His promise.

That's pretty hefty stuff - but I think for many of us who call ourselves "believers," the real understanding of exactly what has been promised to us still escapes us. I don't think it is necessarily out of a lack of love or respect for our Father, it's simply that we live in a "show me" world.  Unless we can see miracles, and feel the Holy Spirit breathing on the back of our necks, we hold on to our faith with cautious optimism instead of total abandon.

I have struggled with this throughout my Christianity and there have been times when 
I have doubted God's presence if I wasn't able to feel it.  Most of my disbelief has been with God wanting to do things – for me.  I have never doubted that He can, and will do miracles for other people, I have always just had a problem believing that I would be healed, or that God would want to use me - for anything.  I know that kind of thinking isn't right, and I have dealt with my doubts and my questions, and I now have a much better understanding of the relationship that I have with Jesus, and my Father, and the Holy Spirit, but it has been a process.

How about you?  Have you ever doubted God?  Have you not believed His promises with total abandon? You know, God said it so it must be so type of stuff?  If so, join me this week in reflection and repentance.  Ask God to forgive your unbelief and I believe that He will take us all to new heights in our walks.  I believe that as He renews our doubting hearts, and refreshes our bodies with Living Water, we will grow closer to Him and our love for Him and our faith in Him, will grow beyond our understanding. We will be transformed, our faith will be strengthened, and our Father in Heaven will be High and LIfted Up!

Prayer
Father forgive my unbelief.  Forgive me for doubting Your Word and for taking for granted all that You have done to ensure my promise in You.  I need You to help me put aside my own thoughts and understanding of how and why You chose me for Your kingdom so that I an be totally available to You - heart, body, and mind.  I want to be the man You have called me to be and I know that I can be - because You promised me that I would be.
Have a blessed day everyone!


– Richard 

1 comment: