Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Dying to Live – John 12:24

24 "Trulytruly, I say to you, unless grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone ; but if it dies, it bears much fruit.
- John 12:24





Dying to Live

Can you recall the day or the time when your Christian "honeymoon" came to a screeching halt?  You know what I'm talking about...the day when the enemy finally took you seriously as a Christian and decided to put his full effort into seeing you stumble?  It could have been a major illness, or the loss of a job, or betrayal by a loved one; it could have been almost any negative thing that burst your baby Christian balloon.  That was a tough time wasn't it?  I mean, none of us could have been prepared for the full-on attack, and I think it's safe to say that almost none of us handled it all that well.

But do you remember when you finally realized that it was an attack and that God hadn't forgotten about you?  The revelation probably came about because some brother and/or sister in Christ came alongside and taught you how to pray for breakthrough – and prayed with you –  through your trial.  It was your first baby step towards becoming a mature Christian and it was then that God was able to advance you in ministry.

For me, divorce was the attack.  Don't get me wrong, I was as much to blame in the failed marriage as she was but the enemy used our past hurts (pre-Christian) to drive a wedge between us, so that as I drew closer to Christ, it pushed her into the waiting arms of the enemy.  I thought I was going to die through that experience.  I was so hurt and at first, like a spoiled child I blamed God, but with time and the help of praying brothers and sisters, I was able to grow and to see God as the Healer and my Redeemer.  I was able to see Him in a new light and I loved Him more than I ever did.

He restored me and He brought me to a new level in my walk, and when I was ready He brought me a wife who would challenge me to be a better man – and she still challenges me today.  He birthed in me a desire to share His Word and to help others who were hurting.  He expanded my capacity to serve and He showed me how to love – even when things aren't going well.  He brought me out of the dust of my despair and He lifted me up to heights I could never have imagined.

There have been many many trials since then and through each one, the enemy has tried to ruin my relationship with my Father – but God has seen me through each trial.  And through each trial, as I have looked to Him to sustain me, He has changed me and molded me into a new fruit tree.  And now, when I start going through a trial, I know that the enemy is at work trying to establish a stronghold in my life, and I am able to recognize it and I draw closer to my Father.  I draw near to Him and I start thanking Him for the new work that He is about to do in my life.  I start praising Him for the overabundance of joy that He will bring into my life and I am humbled because I know that He has a mission for me and that He has chosen me to further His kingdom.

Are you going through a trial?  Are there people at work who are trying to make you look bad?  Are you beginning to feel depressed about something that is out of your control?  Just know that God has something bigger and better in store for you.  All you have to do is draw close to Him.  Start praising Him and let the world see you smile (the enemy hates when you smile).  God is about to promote you and He is going to grow you into such a beautiful fruit tree and all who taste your offerings will know that God is great and that His love is far better than anything this world has to offer.

Prayer

Father, I am learning to count it joy whenever I am faced with a trial.  I have seen You bring me through so many tough times in my life, and through each one, I grow stronger in You. Thank You for being there and for sending Your Holy Spirit to comfort me and to help me keep my head held high.  You are my Joy and the Light of my life and I will praise You throughout my day.  

Have a blessed day everyone!

– Richard

2 comments:

  1. Totally agree. Trials can definitely be tough. I'm so thankful that through both of our hard times He brought us together. With us being evenly yoked in Him we are able to go through our new trails together as we put our focus on Him. It's awesome to see the fruit growing in both of our lives. Thanks for sharing =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me and You and the doggies too! I love you!

    ReplyDelete