Thursday, February 9, 2012

And the Crowd Goes Wild! – Hebrews 12:1

1 As for us, we have this large crowd of witnesses around us. So then, let us rid ourselves of everything that gets in the way, and of the sin which holds on to us so tightly, and let us run with determination the race that lies before us. 
- Hebrews 12:1


And the Crowd Goes Wild!

Have you ever been to a sporting event – most of us have.  The experience is quite exhilarating as we sit among all of the other fans cheering on our favorite athletes.  One thing I have found in observation is that almost everyone who attends these events is an "expert" and have very strong opinions on what the athletes should be doing in order to win the contest.  I have seen and heard people yelling all kinds of instructions down to the field (as if the athletes can hear them).  Most of the time, the loudest and most demonstrative people are the ones who have never even played the game, yet there they are, giving their two cents.  It's all part of the fun and makes for an exciting afternoon or evening.

The crowd of witnesses described in Hebrews 12 are not just couch-potato athletes.  These are veterans of the game of life who all experienced God's providence and who are forever in the "hall of Fame."  I found this description of a few of those "fans" in an excerpt from an article written by Dr. Ed Young:

  • Abel is standing against the railing, pumping his fist and shouting,
    "Nothing but the blood! You can make it!"
  • Joseph is screaming "You can make it out of that pit!"
  • Moses, staff raised high, is shouting, "God will make a way - don't give up!"
  • Gideon is saying, "You may feel overwhelmed, but keep running, stay in your lane."
  • Samson is saying, "Even if you've been caught in sin and scarred, God can still use you. Keep on."
  • David is saying, "Murder…adultery…God's seen it all before. Seek His face again, and run your race."
The Bible is full of example after example of the saints who experienced all of the things we go through.  In fact, our Leader, our Champion, The Greatest of them all  - Jesus is right in their midst cheering us on as we face our day - "You can do it, I have confidence in you!  I am right here!  Just keep your eyes on me and the prize is yours!"

I know that life's circumstances can sometimes be a bit overwhelming - but you can get through it!  Call out to Jesus!  Fight back against the enemy by reaching out to the One who is waiting to lift you up - just keep your focus on Him - He will see you through to victory!

Prayer

Father life can seem so overwhelming sometimes and  I need Your help to get through all of the obstacles.  Thank You for giving me examples of those who have faced these same things and who made it through - it is so encouraging to know that I am not alone in my struggles.  I vow, this day, to keep running strong and to look to You for my strength when I feel the weight of my circumstances pressing down on me.  I am victorious and I will finish this race and I look forward to Your embrace as I cross the finish line.

Have a blessed day everyone!

-Richard

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoy your devotions. Bill showed it to me and it came at the perfect time!

    ReplyDelete