Thursday, April 19, 2012

What Shape Are You In?

3 So I went down to the potter's house, and there he was working at his wheel.
4 And the vessel he was making of clay was spoiled in the potter's hand, and he reworked it into another vessel, as it seemed good to the potter to do.
– Jeremiah 18:3-4





What Shape Are You In?

Ceramics was my favorite class in high school – OK, I know it was a "skate" class and I probably should have been taking my core studies more seriously, but I thrived in that class.  I loved everything about it.  I loved the way the clay smelled; I loved the cool feeling of it in my hands; I loved the way I could squish it between my fingers; I loved its forgiving nature, and most of all I loved the way I could shape it into interesting and cool things.

I would get lost in the clay – my imagination coming to life in the figurines and sculptures that I was able to skillfully produce.  Each piece would take on a life of its own and it usually came out completely different than what I had initially planned for it to be – usually for the better.  Not so much because of my lack of vision or skill as I started out, but because each piece of clay had characteristics of its own and so it would kind of dictate what I could do with it.  I quickly learned however, that I could work the clay into submission, and by kneading it, and twisting, and punching the air bubbles out of it, I could reconstitute the clay to get it to be what I wanted it to be.

Our lives are very much the same in the hands of our Father.  He has a plan for our lives but because of our will and sinful nature, we fight against His craftsmanship.  And, if you are anything like me, it usually takes a lot of reshaping and twisting, and punching the air bubbles out, before the Lord can get you to a place where He can mold you into something beautiful.

For me it took years of painful experiences, culminating in a nervous breakdown, 2 divorces, and a lot of lost brain cells, before I was at a place where God could work with me.  The beauty is that He was patient, and He was willing to let me try to work things out on my own until I got to a point where I needed Him.  He knew the plans that he had for me – the plans He STILL has for me, and He waited until I was willing to submit to his waiting hands so that He could take my life, and begin to work out all of the "air-head" bubbles.  And now, when He sees that I am starting to work against Him, He skillfully kneads my back into shape – it isn't always gently, but He knows which areas of my life need to be worked on, and He holds me gently in His hands while I go through the lesson.  I always come out with a brand new perspective on the direction He has designed for me, and I become more pliable as He continues to mold me into the masterpiece my life will become.

He is working on your masterpiece as well – He is working to shape you into His unique and wonderful design.  Will you submit to His touch on your life today?

Prayer

Father, You are the master Potter and I am so willing to allow You to mold me and to shape me into the man you want me to be.  I am so thankful that You understand just how to work the clay that is my life in order that I can become pliable in Your loving hands.  Shape me Lord – take out all of the impurities like lust, and pride, and conceit, and stubborn unforgiveness.  Mold me Lord, so that I can become what You have designed and then I can make a difference in my world . . . for You.

Have a blessed day everyone!

– Richard




No comments:

Post a Comment