Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Are You A "Stealth" Christian

54 Then seizing him, they led him away and took him into the house of the high priest. Peter followed at a distance. 
55 But when they had kindled a fire in the middle of the courtyard and had sat down together, Peter sat down with them.
– Luke 22: 54-55



Are You A "Stealth" Christian
Peter thought he could go in to the courtyard and blend in with the crowd.  How wrong he was!  
Stealth Christianity  didn't work out so well for Peter in the courtyard, and it absolutely won't work out for us either.  The resulting realization of his denying Christ cut him to the heart, and it should cut us to the heart as well.  It should send us to our knees, begging for forgiveness.

Lucille Ball (I Love Lucy fame), was constantly trying to blend into situations, but because she was out of her element, it never worked out like she hoped and she always found herself in plenty of hot water.  Peter Sellers (The Pink Panther), made a career for himself as Inspector Clouseau; he would go to great lengths to blend in with very ingenious (but quite silly) costumes and he would always be found out . . . usually after blowing himself up.  Tom Hanks started his career in a show called Bosom Buddies by pretending to be a woman – he did it because it was the only way he could stay in an affordable apartment.  The lengths he went to to keep his secret were truly comical.  All these characters would end up in some sort of disaster or another and they would usually leave us wondering why they would put themselves through the misery – week, after week, after week, one episode after another.

I think that a lot of us are just like those characters – we live our lives as "stealth" Christians.  In fact, I have even heard people boast about being in stealth mode when they are amongst people of mixed belief.  It is sad really.  We aren't effective when we take on this attitude of denial – and make no mistake about it, it IS denial.  When we try to mask what and who we really are so as not to offend someone, or so that we don't make anyone uncomfortable, we are denying Christ.

I have done this at work for many years – in fact, most of my Christian life.  Oh, people knew I was a Christian, but instead of being bold and unashamed, I rationalized that I could be more effective by just blending in with everyone else and letting my "light" shine.  And while it is good to do that, what it boiled down to, was that I was really afraid to speak out because I didn't want anyone to think I was weak or silly because of my faith . . . how weak, and pathetic, and silly was I!?  In my desire to be liked, I was denying Christ and my witness was ineffective at best.

Christ walked boldly into death for me and for you.  He made no apologies and He didn't try to sugar-coat any of His messages.  He didn't deny us the privilege of eternal life and I am truly saddened that sometimes we will go with the flow in order to blend in, or to not "offend" anyone; the whole time telling ourselves that we are doing good because the people who are going to hell around us, are getting the little nuggets of Godly wisdom that we toss around (even though we never mention the name of Jesus).

We should never think that just because we speak of God in our conversations that Jesus is lifted up.  There are many gods in this world, and unless we specify and boldly proclaim who our God is – the Lord Jesus – The Risen Christ – The Way, The Truth, and The Life – The ONLY Way, then we kid ourselves and we deny Him.

Peter denied Christ 3 times.  How many times have you denied him by not including Him in your conversations?  I have denied Him so many times I can't even count them.  But I am changing.  I have made a choice to no longer deny my Lord.  Jesus is my Savior and He is worthy of ALL my praise.  I will NOT be ashamed and I will Not deny Him . . . and if someone is offended by hearing the name of Jesus, then they are the ones who need to hear His name proclaimed the most.

Prayer
Lord Jesus, forgive us for thinking we can leave You out of our conversations.  Forgive us for denying You.  Forgive our selfishness and our unwillingness to stand boldly and proclaim Your name to a world that needs You the most.  I pray that each time I am given with the opportunity to tell others about You, and to stand on who I am in You, that the image of Peter in the courtyard would come to my mind because I don't ever want to deny You by being in "Stealth" mode again.

Have a blessed day everyone – tell someone about Jesus!

– Richard

1 comment: