Friday, April 6, 2012

The Cross Roads – Luke 23: 26-27 / 32-33


26 As they led Jesus away, Simon of Cyrene, who was coming in from the country just then, was forced to follow Jesus and carry his cross. 
27 Great crowds trailed along behind, including many grief-stricken women. 
32 Two others, both criminals, were led out to be executed with him. 
33 Finally, they came to a place called The Skull.  All three were crucified there – Jesus on the center cross, and the two criminals on either side. 
– Luke 23: 26-27 / 32-33




The Cross Roads
Do you remember the road that led you to the Cross?  Perhaps you skipped down the road as a child and have spent the majority of your life celebrating the Love and Grace of our Savior;  maybe you crawled down it after leaving a bar  or a night of partying;  maybe you traveled down the road for 40 or 50 years and after a life of searching, finally reaching the Cross.  Or maybe, like me, you were drawn to the Cross after a life of defeat, and despair, and perverted living – the Lord reaching down from heaven, rescuing you and walking hand-in-hand all the way to the Cross.  Regardless of how you got there, the point is that you got there, and once there, our Lord Jesus changed your life forever.


Jesus took a very different road.  The road He took was filled with betrayal, and hate, and chaos, and confusion.  It was lined with jeering crowds, weeping women, and Roman soldiers.  It was paved with the blood and sweat of criminals past who were led to their deaths in the same way He was being led . . . or was it?


As I was reflecting on the events of Good Friday, I began to look at it from a different perspective; I began to imagine seeing everything from heaven's perspective.  Looking down at the events of that day,  I began to see a road filled with joy and celebration. A road lined with choirs of angels singing the praises of our King – "Glory, Glory, Glory to the Lamb – He is the Righteous King who takes away the sins of the world!"  I began to see a road paved with gold and pearls and diamonds, shining brightly in the sun as Jesus, dressed in brilliant robes of white and purple, and crowned with brilliant light marching purposefully and gracefully into victory over sin and death!


This was The Plan after-all; the saving Grace of our Father setting His seal upon His people – giving us the keys to the kingdom so that we could face Him through the unblemished blood of His perfect Son.  This was His way of saying, "You are my beloved children and I will walk with you in the cool of the morning, and we will fellowship in the mansions of heaven - forever!"  What an awesome and  wonderful Father we have!


Yes, this was a horrible day as humanity reared its ugliest head and showed how truly evil we can be – but it was a Glorious day that was carefully planned, and perfectly executed, and triumphantly realized . . . just for us . . . just for you . . . and just for me!  Thank You Jesus!


Take some time today to reflect on the road that got you to the Cross.  Thank the Father and our Lord Jesus for guiding you there. Thank the Holy Spirit for giving you the power to live this Victorious Life.  Live this day – for Him, and reflect His Love, and His Grace, and His Compassion to those you meet today.  Celebrate the day as I believe it was celebrated in heaven – with singing and rejoicing, "Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord God almighty!  He saw me and He saved me!  He rescued me from uncertainty and I will dwell in the house of the Lord - forever!"


Prayer
Lord You are a mighty and an awesome God.  Your plan to redeem mankind was perfect and I thank You for remembering me and for leading me to the cross.  My life is so different than it was and I am so grateful.  You reached down to me and You lifted me out of my sin and You held me to Your chest – what a glorious day that was!  I will celebrate this day and I will let Your light shine through me as I go through my routine so that others might be drawn down the road to the cross.  I love You my Lord!


Have a blessed day everyone!


– Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment