Monday, June 25, 2012

Smooth Talking Man! – Genesis 12:11

11 As he drew near to Egypt, he said to his wife, Sarai, "Look. We both know that you're a beautiful woman."
– Genesis 12:11



Smooth Talking Man!
This bit of Scripture cracks me up, and it reminds me that God likes to use lines like this to remind us men that we can be knuckleheads sometimes.  I mean can you imagine?  75-year old Abram and his wife Sarai had been on a long, hot, arduous, and dusty trip across the desert, without air conditioning and not even a Motel 6 in sight.  The camels were hungry, the camping equipment was dusty, and their nephew Lot was being a big pain-in-the . . . , and Abram turns to Sarai and says . . . "Look, we both know your'e a beautiful woman."  

What?
Sarai must have felt so flattered!  
NOT!  

Abram might as well have said something like, "Hey, you know as well as I do that you're the female in this relationship."  The statement was flat, unemotional, and might I dare say, typical of the types of things we husbands say from time-to-time.  We mean well; we think we're making a compliment to the women we have devoted our undying love to, but in our "Man-Brained" way, we fall short and we leave our women feeling like objects of domestication instead of objects of our affection.

I am as guilty of this as anyone and unfortunately I realize that I am as big a knucklehead as Abram was.  When i was courting my wife, I used to write her poems and leave love notes in places that she could find and be surprised by, but now . . . hmmmm, not so much, I'm afraid I've really dropped the ball.  Oh I still Love my wife - and more than I ever have, but I'm afraid that I'm no longer the smooth "Casanova" that I once was.  It's not out of design mind you.  I mean, I don't wake up in the morning and look for ways to be unromantic.  It's just that I'm preoccupied with life, and in the middle of all the work things, and house things, and financial things, and all the other "things," I've lost sight of what's really important - this wonderful and amazing gift that God has given me – and well, I seem to have lost the art of being romantic.  Hey, it happens to everyone right?

How about you? When was the last time you told your wife how beautiful she was – and NOT like Abram did.  When was the last time you left your wife a love note, or the last time you did something romantic for her.  I bet it's been a while, and like me, I bet you still have all those amazing feelings for her, you've just been wrapped up in being a good husband, and father, and provider, and all the stuff that comes with those titles.  It doesn't excuse us though, and we need to start being better "romancers," and smooth talkers so that our spouses know how much we really do love them.

Yes, today's scripture cracks me up, but it also cuts pretty deep, and I know that I need to change some things, because my wife is precious to me, and I love her so very much, and I want her to feel like the special gift from God that she is.  So who is with me?  Will you take the time to let your spouse know how much you really love them today?

Prayer
Thank You Father, for reminding me that I need to communicate my love to my wife in a way that means something.  In my efforts to be a good man, I've forgotten that means that I also need to be romantic and loving.  Help me Lord to be "whole" in the way I approach my love - Your precious gift to, and just for, me.

Have a blessed day everyone!

– Richard



1 comment:

  1. WOW... I write this with tears streaming down. Thank you my love, this means more than I can say. Thank you so much for being the man of God who sits and listens to the Voice of our Lord and is always looking for ways to be all that God created you to be. I love you and thank you for that Text this morning with I Love you. My heart still skips a beat when I think of you. Always your adoring wife, Pam.

    ReplyDelete