Friday, June 15, 2012

Gifts From The Father – Matthew 7:9-11

9 Or which one of you, if his son asks him for bread, will give him a stone? 
10 Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a serpent? 
11 If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him! 
– Matthew 7:9-11



Gifts From The Father

Father's Day is this Sunday and it is a tough time for me.  My dad was my hero but he is no longer with us and even though it has been over ten years since his passing, it is still difficult for me to want to "celebrate" Father Day.  I have come to the understanding however, that even though I don't have my dad to share this celebration with, I do have the years of wisdom and love that he so unselfishly and freely gave to all of his kids.

When I was growing up I felt that my dad could do anything and I used to marvel at how he could "fix" things with other "things."  I believe that he was the original MacGyver because he could take a Coors can (after he drank the contents), some electrical tape, and a popsicle stick and turn it into an engine part for a '65 Rambler Station wagon.  He never seemed to use "conventional" methods for constructing, repairing, or creating anything, but everything he put his hand to worked just fine for us (or so it seemed so to my pre-adolescent mind).  Dad was also an artist. He created the most wonderful Christmas displays out of materials most people would throw away (mostly he used empty Coors cans).  He also played Honkey Tonk on the piano better than anyone, and boy could he dance.  My dad was the life of the party, and he always made everyone feel welcome.  As a kid, I absolutely knew that my dad was better than any other dad out there.

Like all kids, I grew up fast and like all fathers, dad was very busy, but he always had time for heart-to-heart talks and he would patiently listen to my ramblings and complaining, and after I was done, he would offer sage advice.  Even when I became a rebellious teenager and I said and did horrible things, dad always took the time to listen, and he always made me feel loved.

"Dad, you always gave and I always took, and the greatest thing I think I took from you was your love for your children.  You showed me the tools I would need to be a father - a lot of love, a lot of patience, a huge amount of forgiveness, and a big sense of humor."

Now I know that not everyone has fond memories of their father and I can't say that I know what that must feel like.  But I do know that the void that I feel in my life because my dad is no longer here, is filled when I look to our Father in heaven.  I do know that He loves us so much more than our human fathers ever could.  His love is pure and He will never leave us.  He wants us to let Him fill that void in our lives and He wants you to know that He sees and knows the emptiness in your heart and He wants to take that hole in your heart and replace it with wholeness of life.  His desire is that you get to know Him so that He can show how to overcome all the hurts and disappointments that your father may have left with you, by turning all your focus and attention and energy on Him.  He is our Father - forever!

On this Father's Day, I know that there are many of you who have dads that do not know the Lord, or who have hard hearts and won't even talk about Him.  I think we should pray for each other's dads this weekend.  Pray that someone else's dad would come to know the Lord - pray that they would open their heart to His Word.  Ask God to reveal someone in your life whose father needs salvation or maybe you know someone who IS a father but desperately needs the Lord - pray for them.  I would even go as far to say to commit one year to praying for them - let's see what God has done when Father's day rolls around next year.  I am going to predict a lot more saved dads and a lot more faith functioning families as well.  I have the dad I'm committing to pray for in mind - how about you?

Prayer
Father, I am so thankful that I can call you Abba - Daddy - Papa.  I love You so much and I am so grateful to You for this life of faith that You have designed for me.  I thank You for the father that you blessed me with - he raised me to be the man I am today and even though I was so rebellious, I know that he prayed for me every day.  I pray that the fathers that have hardened their hearts against you will come running into your loving arms through the prayers of their loved ones.  I ask that You especially work on the father that I lift up to you today Lord - touch his life today and let him feel Your redemptive love and grace.  Most of all Lord, Happy Father's Day!

have a blessed day everyone - and have a blessed and happy Father's Day as well!

–Richard


No comments:

Post a Comment