Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Aren't You Listening? – Joshua 1:9

9 Haven't I commanded you?   Strength!    Courage!    Don't be timid;    don't get discouraged.    God, your God, is with you every step you take." 
– Joshua 1:9



Aren't You Listening?
When I was a kid my teachers were always asking me that question - "Aren't you listening? Wake up! Pay attention! Stop daydreaming!"

It seemed that my head was always somewhere else . . . the bird on the window sill; the cloud formations; the crazy doodlings and drawings on my test paper; the pretty girl sitting a few rows over; the kid picking his nose to the back and left of me, etc., etc.  It was always something, and most of the time it was anything and everything.  I guess if I was a kid today, I would be labeled with ADD, but back in those days, I was just a "normal" kid who had trouble staying focussed.  The nuns, completely frustrated by my inattention, did their best to beat it out of me but no matter how hard they tried, I stayed delightfully distracted (and perpetually bruised).

God must get somewhat frustrated with us too, at times.  Especially when He has been with us and seen us through so many disasters, and He has orchestrated so many of our victories.  But there we go, as soon as the first hiccup in our day-to-day utopian mindset presents itself, we tend to forget all that He has done for us and we start trying to figure things out on our own.  Like a struggle in quicksand, the more we fight, the deeper we sink until we finally come to our senses and we stop struggling. We relax, and we look up, and almost instantaneously, we gain a new perspective; our fear subsides; our courage returns, and we are able to slowly but surely, crawl out of the mire that has been sucking us into despair, and we rise victoriously one step at a time.

Most of the time it will go something like this:

Us - "I can't do this!"
God - "Aren't you listening?!"
Us - "I'm too weak."
God - "Have Strength!"
Us - "But I'm afraid."
God - "Have Courage!"
Us - "I . . I j-just don't know . . . "
God - "Don't be timid!  I'm right here with you!"
Us - "But it's just so difficult."
God - "Don't be discouraged!  I am your God!   I am Here!   I will ALWAYS be here - every step of the way!   I will see you through, if you will just look into My Heart and see the you that I see . . . My child!   Strong!   Victorious!   A Conqueror!   Mighty in all you put your hands to!    You are my creation and I have made you good . . . SO BE GOOD!"

Ever been there?  I have. Far too many times in fact (and sad to say). But the more I walk with the Lord, and I trust in His Holy Spirit to guide me, I find myself able to focus on the Big picture of my life. I'm able to walk freely and confidently in every situation because I am so aware of God's presence in my life. I walk in time to His rhythm and in His timing. It's kind of like a military unit or a marching band; everyone steps in unison - left - right - left - right . . . everyone headed in the same direction, marching as one, with the same goal in mind . . . to be as one.

That's all God wants from us.  To walk in unison with Him.  To let Him set the pace, and the timing, and the rhythm, and for us to walk with strength, and confidence, and power . . . with our God!  When we can do that; when we can see Him in the middle of our storms as well as in the middle of our victories; when we can march to the beat of His Heart for our lives, THEN those quicksand moments will be like splashing through mud puddles, and we'll get past and over them with hardly a second thought.  

Prayer
Father, Thank You for being by my side, walking every step with me through my life.  I am working towards walking with You - to Your rhythm and design for my life.  Forgive me for simply taking You along and even forgetting You're there sometimes, I don't do it on purpose, sometimes I just get distracted.  Help me to stay focussed Lord so that my mind will stay sharp and attentive to You and Your ways.

Have a blessed day everyone!

– Richard



No comments:

Post a Comment