Thursday, March 8, 2012

I'm NOT "That Guy" Anymore – Genesis 32:27-28

27 And he said to him, "What is your name?" And he said, "Jacob." 
28 Then he said, "Your name shall no longer be called Jacob, but Israel, for you have striven with God and with men, and have prevailed."
– Genesis 32:27-28



I'm NOT "That Guy" Anymore
Last night I wasn't feeling very well and I was home by myself – so I took the opportunity to have some quiet time with the Lord. In our conversation, He took me all the way back to the events that led up to my accepting His invitation to join Him in this brand new life
.  It was kinda cool to relive the way He carefully designed each step of the way so that I could go from despair to a new excitement and a zeal for my new life. I recalled how after the excitement and joy of giving my life to Jesus had a chance to calm down a bit, He came to me and asked "what is your name?" . . . with a sly smile on His face.

I knew my name of course, but I could no longer associate it with the person I was before.  I could imagine Him nodding and smiling as I tried to go through all of the old ways of describing me:
Liar
Thief
Coward
Drug Addict
Sneak
Sex Addict
Damaged
Abused
Angry
Violent
Stupid
No-Good
Worthless
No-Account
Failure
Weakling
Untrustworthy
Flawed
Scarred
Sinner


He was smiling because He knew that that old man didn't exist anymore.  He smiled because He could hardly contain His excitement as I came to the realization that I was walking from death into blessing and that my future was paved with light and grace.  I was about to start on a new journey with Jesus and my new name was Hope, and Peace, and Friend, and Forgiven, and, and Redeemed, and Victorious!  I was a living example of God's Grace in Christ.

I can sometimes forget about that experience – especially when I'm going through tough times.  I can see the old me in the rear-view mirror, you know - appearing larger than I really was, and I know that if I'm not careful to guard the quiet places in my heart, the enemy will find a way to work his way back in.  I am so thankful that Jesus' love is so strong that it keeps me refreshed.  And in Him,  I can keep moving forward and the enemy can just keep chasing me – because I am riding with Jesus, and He doesn't even have a rear-view mirror.

Take some time to remember your salvation experience today.  Thank God for taking the time to wrestle with you as you made the decision to accept Jesus into your heart.  Thank Him that you are no longer who you used to be and the new you is wonderful and marvelous and full of joy and light.  Claim the blessings that are yours and hold your head high because you are a child of God!  Share the Joy of the Lord with someone today!

Prayer

Father,  Thank You for giving me a new name and a new identity.  I pray that I never forget the depths of where I came because I know that it will keep my rejoicing fresh and new each day.  Help me to stay focused on You as I go about the busyness of today – I want to show others just a small portion of the love You showed me.

Have a blessed day everyone!

– Richard

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! Sometimes God needs to quiet us down so we just hang with Him. Unfortunately sometimes it takes us not feeling well but what it ever it takes it's awesome to stop and commune with the Great I AM! You are such a blessing to me. I don't know that old man you talk about. I know you as an Awesome man of God with your new names. I have my history as you well know and I am so thankful that those two people are dead and we have been born again, redeemed, fresh and new, living each day victoriously in Him. I love you. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete