Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Heart Matters – Proverbs 4:20-23


20 My son, pay attention to what I say; listen closely to my words.   
21 Do not let them out of your sight, keep them within your heart;
22 for they are life to those who find them and health to a man's whole body.
23 Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life.
– Proverbs 4:20-23



The Heart Matters

The condition of our heart - the things that we hold most dear, will determine the course and the outcome of our lives.  What are you hiding in your heart? 

People see the heart as many different things, depending on how they view the world.  To a doctor or scientist, the heart is an organ; to a romantic, the heart is what controls love; if you are a poet, the heart can be a central theme to all emotion;  if you are a pessimist, the heart brings pain and disappointment as it will only be broken over and over again. 

But if you are a Christian, the heart is the only thing in this world (spiritually speaking) that we have complete control over.   The scripture today  tells us that we have the power to keep the Word of God within our hearts.  It goes on to say that above ALL else, we are to guard our heart because it is the wellspring of life.   What life is it referring to?  It is speaking of the abundance of life in Jesus – a life filled with the grace, forgiveness, and the power of God.  A life filled with peace and joy – a life of faith that will bring about change in this world.  It is talking about your life and my life.

So how do we guard our heart?  How do we take control and tap into that wellspring of life?  It all starts with God's Word and how it is applied in your life.  Do you believe God's Word?  Really?  All of it?  Are you sure?  How much time are you devoting to it?  Is it collecting more dust than fingerprints?  It ALL starts with God's Word so if we don't absorb it every day; if we don't meditate on it throughout our day; if we don't apply it with every beat of our heart, then it is going to be difficult to tap into that wellspring.

God has given us a list – a road map if you will, to that wellspring of life.
1. Pay attention
2. Listen closely
3. Don't let it out of your sight
4. Keep it within your heart
5. Guard your heart

I find it interesting that He says we are to "listen closely" and then He tells us to not let what we just listened to "out of our sight."  To me that means that we are to LISTEN to what God is trying to tells us by READING His Word – not by listening to what someone else has learned or is trying to teach us.  Don't get me wrong, I love to listen to good preaching.  I love to gather nuggets of wisdom that God has given to someone else – I have learned so much that way and it has brought me closer to God.  But God wants to speak to us directly.  He wants to whisper the things that are only meant for us – like a father with a son or daughter sitting on his lap;  the father leans in and whispers something to the child which makes their eyes light up, and a big smile crosses their face.  In turn, the father's eyes light up and both he and the child share a special moment – a time of bonding and relationship.  THAT'S what God wants to do with each one of us. 

He wants you leaning in close so He can share the secrets of your life – the very thing that taps into your wellspring so that YOU can bond with HIM and deepen your relationship.  THAT's how you can begin to guard your heart.  Let God speak to you directly through the reading of His Word.  Ask Him to reveal those gems of knowledge that will bring life to your tired soul; healing to your ailing body; peace to your troubled mind.  It's an active thing and it requires discipline at first – but in a short time you will desire more and more of the refreshing water that comes from the deep wellspring of His Words of Life.  You won't be able to get enough of God's Word – you will thirst for it, and you will be more than satisfied as you dig in and discover your very own wellspring, designed especially for you by God, who loves you so much!

Prayer
Father I thank You for giving Your Word to us.  I know that there have been far too many times when I have taken It for granted and I let my Bible sit on a shelf, unopened and unused.  How foolish I have been!  Your very Word Refreshes my heart, and I will actively and fiercely guard it so that I can tap into the life that You have designed for me.  I thank You for speaking directly to me and giving me the wisdom I need to navigate through my day.  Lord, I pray for my brothers and sisters who might be struggling with reading Your Word.  Help them to see that Your Word holds the key to an abundant life . . . in You.

Have a blessed day everyone!

– Richard 

No comments:

Post a Comment