Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Re-Focus! Look! It’s Jesus! – Hebrews 3:1


1   So, my dear Christian friends, companions in following this call to the heights, take a good hard look at Jesus. He's the centerpiece of everything we believe…
    – Hebrews 3:1



Re-Focus!   Look!   It’s Jesus!
Are you the type of person that gets easily distracted?  I know I can be.  As an artist – a visually-driven person – my attention can quickly be drawn to things that look new, fresh and different.  I also tend to get bored rather quickly, so I need constant stimulation in order to keep my focus.  It’s something that I’ve had to learn about myself, and so over the years, and through many self-imposed trials, I can now recognize when I need to refocus my attention in order to stay on track.

My Christian walk has been the same way.  Luckily, I made most of my biggest mistakes prior to inviting Jesus into my heart, but it still has taken me years to know that I need to re-fresh my mind – to re-energize my passion – to re-focus my attention, on to Jesus, and I need to do it every day.

It’s too easy (for me anyway) to let one day turn to two or three without having read God’s Word or having even prayed, so every morning, I need to remind myself of who I belong to.  I have a little ritual that I go through (that my beautiful wife taught me), where I put on the Armor of God and I start with Ephesians 6 v 10 - Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.

I visualize myself putting on my armor one piece at a time and when I’m done I visualize kneeling in front of Jesus with my head bowed, and I offer my service, my heart, and my very best - just for today.  I only do it for today because I know myself, and I need to repeat this every morning in order to keep my focus. 

Some of you might think it's a cop out to only devote one day at a time.  It's what I have to do – the whole visualization thing might seem silly to some but it works for me.  It helps me stay focused on Jesus, and it reminds me that there are so many things out there that are going to be vying for my attention – even things that would appear to be “Christian,” but upon close inspection they take focus away from our Savior.  The battlefield is all around me and I NEED to do this every day so that I can stay strong and continue on the path – straight to Jesus.

All I’m saying is this – whatever you have to do, whatever it takes, however silly or odd it might seem to other people, do what YOU need to do to keep your eyes on Jesus.  When it comes down to it, that’s ALL that matters.  You will have to answer for YOU ONLY! 

Jesus said, I am the Way!  I am the Truth!  I am the Life!  It just makes sense to do everything you can to make sure you use His Truth to learn His Way, and to make His Life, your life too!

Prayer
Lord Jesus, I commit this day to You.  Everything I say, everything I do, all that I am, I give to You.  I look to You for my strength and I pray that I will hear Your voice throughout this day.  I love You Lord Jesus!

Have a blessed day everyone!

– Richard



No comments:

Post a Comment