Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Gonna Blow my Trumpet! – Judges 7:16

16 He (Gideon), divided the three hundred men into three companies. He gave each man a trumpet and an empty jar, with a torch in the jar.
– Judges 7:16



Gonna Blow my Trumpet!
Do you remember the Gong Show?  That crazy talent/no talent show where three celebrity judges would hit a large gong if the act was particularly bad, and the act that got the most points from the judges would win the grand prize of $516.32 and a trophy.  Well . . . in that TV series, there was a repeat act called Larry and His Magic Trumpet.  Larry would come out and repeatedly sing "I'm gonna play my trumpet . . . I'm gonna play my trumpet . . . I'm gonna play my trumpet Noooowwww!" but he would never get around to playing it, he would just repeat the song over and over until the curtain was closed on him.

So what does all that have to do with today's scripture?  Not much really, only that Gideon running around with a trumpet reminded me of that Gong Show act because the situation (to me), was that comical.  I mean c'mon – REALLY? – you gotta be kidding . . . right?  Here's 300 guys, going into battle, against an army so large that to try to number their camels was like trying to count the grains of sand on the sea shore!  Just their CSD (Camel Sanitation Department), would have numbered in the thousands, and these 300 guys were going to surround hundreds of thousands of men (my estimation), armed with trumpets and lanterns?  WOW!

I must say however, that I often feel as inadequate as those 300 must have felt.  I look at the situation in front of me and I pray, "Lord . . . I am so ill-prepared for this task.  I have no clue as to how to even approach the problem in front of me.  I'm just a man, trying to walk this Christian life as best as I can, and I know I make way too many mistakes.  Why are You asking me to do this?"

Oh me of little faith.  I'm learning though.  I've seen God come through time-after-time.  I'm able to trust more and more and instead of questioning "why" and "how" so much, I'm learning to rely and to just keep moving forward.  Is it scary sometimes?  Sure.  Am I still ill-equiped to handle the task?  Yes, but with each instance, better equipped than before.  Does God let me know the outcome ahead of time?  Not a chance, but I now know that as long as I am seeking and nurturing my relationship with Him, He won't fail me.  He will work out the details and He will make the way clear exactly at the time I need the clarity.

It's a trust thing.  God wants us to learn to trust Him.  He wants us to let Him drive and He'll get us to where we need to go and at precisely the right time that we need to be there.  He'll navigate the journey and steer us clear of any hazards along the way.  We can't be back-seat drivers though, trying to give God directions and letting Him know we would do it differently.  All we have to do is keep moving forward, with Him in front, and us taking the back seat to everything He does.

From time-to-tiome that might mean taking up a trumpet when a sword might seem the logical choice.  He might want us to sit and silently pray, when speaking our mind would at least let people know our ideas.  He could be calling us to serve and to follow, when leading would certainly get the job done more efficiently (in our opinion).  God is into doing things differently. It's just His way.  He doesn't need us trying to figure out His next move so that we can try to "fit" into His plans.  He just wants us to sit in the passenger seat and go where He takes us, even if it mean traveling a route that doesn't seem to make sense.

So if God says play the trumpet, or teach the Sunday School class, or be a part of the Christmas drama, or do some yard work for someone who can't do it anymore, or tithe even though you think you're broke, or give to someone who doesn't have . . . then DO it!  Don't try to figure it out or question if it's really God.  DO it!  Then repeat the process, each time trusting and obeying, trusting and obeying.  Let's see what God can do through us when we stop questioning Him all the time, and jut do what He asks us to do.

Prayer
Father, Your ways are not our ways.  Your methods don't need to make sense to us.  Your work is before us and we are Your workers, so Father, thank You for trusting us with Your work.  Forgive us for questioning and for doubting.  Help us to be more trusting and to be willing to obey, even when things don't make sense.  We do it out of love and devotion to You.

Have a blessed day everyone!

– Richard


No comments:

Post a Comment