Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Are You Committed? – Ezra 7:10

10 Ezra had committed himself to studying the Revelation of God, to living it, and to teaching Israel to live its truths and ways.
– Ezra 7:10


When I was in high school, at the beginning of every school year, I would make a commitment that I would study hard, do my homework, and pay attention in class.  And every year, without fail, I would do just that . . . for about a month.  Then, as the newness wore off, and the work became increasingly difficult, and the teachers began piling on the homework, the normal distractions of teenage life were able to pull me away from the commitment I made, and I would soon find myself back in the same ruts of missed assignments, failing grades, and the "dog" constantly eating my homework.  It was the same thing every year, year-after-year, over-and-over again.  I hated it, but I never could seem to stick to the commitment I made at the beginning of the year.

It wasn't until later in my life, after many failed attempts at employments and relationships – actually, after I became a Christian – that I came to understand the importance of commitment.  I learned the value of the follow through, and I experienced the adrenaline rush of accomplishment as I started becoming successful – all because I was making better choices and keeping my commitments.  It wasn't easy, especially at first, but with each completed goal, I changed. With each follow through, I grew.  With each step along the way, I matured and a metamorphoses took place in which I became committed.

The secret was in absorbing the Word of God. The power to succeed, the energy to persevere, the joy in discovering truth, all came day-by-day and Word-by-Word. I learned that God Himself had committed Himself to me, and as I wrapped my mind, and my soul, and my heart around that truth, my commitment to Him and to living my life for Him, became food, and water, and air for me – the essence of life itself was wrapped up in my commitment to the revelation of God in my life and I am still living that commitment today.

My friends, if you are struggling in any area of your life, commit yourself to His Word. Study It!  Absorb It!  Drink It and eat It with a voracious appetite!  Make It the most important thing in your life!  Commit yourself, wholeheartedly, to God and I guarantee you that you will find Victory over your struggles. The things of life will not go away, but you will have the Power of God and the Favor of God to overcome those things that always seem to trip you up.  You will find success as you commit yourself to God's Word, every day . . . without fail.

God has committed Himself to you . . . are you willing to commit yourself . . . to Him?

Prayer
Father, we commit ourselves to Your Word, and Your Ways today.  We honor you with our devotion to becoming Your disciples and to living the Truth of Your love for this life You have given to us.  Forgive us for the times when we neglect Your Word and help us to remain committed, for all our days, to You.

Have a Blessed day everyone!

– Richard


No comments:

Post a Comment