Thursday, December 20, 2012

The Familiar Blessing – 2 Samuel 7:28

28 "And now, Master God, being the God you are, speaking sure words as you do, and having just said this wonderful thing to me, 
29 please, just one more thing: Bless my family; keep your eye on them always. You've already as much as said that you would, Master God! Oh, may your blessing be on my family permanently!"
– 2 Samuel 7:28



The Familiar Blessing
When you hear the word "family" what thought or image comes into your head?  For me it's in my youth and weekend gatherings at my grandparents' homes with all the aunts, uncles, cousins, and drama that goes with gathering all those strong personalities in one place.  In our family, it seems that all the parents got together and decided to synchronize the birthing process so that each family had kids of the same age – playmates, confidants, partners-in-crime if you will. That was a different era – a different time in Americana – a time before video games and cable TV.

Things are much different now.  Family is spread far and wide and for a lot of us, our kids don't even know their cousins, or their Aunts and Uncles for that matter.  The picture of "Family" has become a cropped version of itself and for many these days, is limited to those dwelling in the same house, or at best, the same geographic location.  Our relationships with those whom we share DNA, exist mostly on FaceBook or through email, and the only reason we know what each other even looks like is because of posted photos.  Detached, we view flat images of each other and smile, and every once in a while we keep in "touch" as our fingers fly across the keyboard in a quick-witted comment or as we "like" each other.

Today's passage made me stop in my tracks this morning, and it made me realize how truly disconnected I am from my family – my mom, my brother and my sister, my children and grandchildren, my aunts, uncles, and cousins who are spread out all over the country.  And I long for the days gone by when playing in Grandma and Grandpa Chavez's basement would bring a quick but ignored scolding by the older (and less "fun" cousins), or getting stuck in the irrigated fields and getting chased by the geese at "PoPo's" farm.  Those were the family times that shaped my love of adventure and creativity, and where we used our imaginations to escape from the heavy hands of our elders, and we built relationships and memories that still bring laughter whenever we can find the time to get together again . . . it's so sad really.

So I stop in my tracks, and I lift my head and my hands to Heaven . . . and I cry out to God:

Bless my family; keep Your eye on them always. You've already as much as said that You would, Master God! Oh, may Your Blessing be on my family permanently!"

I love you all . . . immediate family . . . close family . . . distant family . . . family no longer with us . . . church family . . . family of the Risen Christ!  Peace to you all!  May the Joy of our Lord fill your hearts and may you feel the Blessings of Heaven over your lives, especially in this Christmas season – but also throughout your days and for all your days!  And I pray that I will have the joy of seeing each of you soon . . . you are all in my heart – I Love You All!

Merry Christmas my Family All!

– Richard



No comments:

Post a Comment